IRAN ART EXHIBITION: HOW TO TELL A TURQUOISE IS REAL?
Traveling to Iran and not bringing back souvenirs with you, is like being in Santa’s house, but not taking your present. Each region in Iran has particular handicrafts and souvenirs, but some are among the most special ones. As they are almost expensive, there might be some fake simples in stores. Stick with us to know how to recognize the originals!
The turquoise stone is extracted almost around the world, but the most famous turquoise made jewelry belongs to the range by the quality: Iran, Tibet, and the USA. Iran has remained the most important source of turquoise for at least 2000 years. The finest turquoise in Iran extracts from Neyshabur mines. the original Neyshabur turquoise has some qualities which are not found in other types. Here are some points to differentiate valuable turquoise stone from the fake ones. The turquoise is categorized in different groups based on its color, the veins and the mines it’s extracted from.
Types of turquoise:
• Based on color:
Turquoise has a very wide color spectrum. From the pale to the greenish-blue. The stronger the blue shade is, the more valuable that’ll be.
• Based on the mine which is extracted from:
Respectively the mines of Neyshabur, Damghan, and Kerman produce the finest turquoise in Iran. To make sure that the turquoise you’re buying is original ask for identifications or check precisely the veins and color.
• Based on veins:
Some turquoises have veins, while others are perfectly homochromatic and blue with no streaks or fractures on their surface. Although neither of the mentioned types has superiority over another in terms of stone quality, the golden veins turquoises also called spider turquoises are usually more popular.
How to make sure the turquoise is original?
To differentiate the original Iranian turquoise from the fakes is totally difficult even for professionals. But there are some easy tips for shoppers to identify the counterfeit stone.
• Turquoise stone generally turns Blue, chrome or vanadium green or in the range of pale blue to greenish-blue as well as yellowish-green, because of the existence of copper and iron in its Chemical Formula.
• The original turquoise color should somehow be opaque. The exaggerated glossy stone arouses suspicion.
• The High-quality turquoise is almost blue sky. Even though the original turquoise of Neyshabur might have some black veins or spots on it.
• You can heat a needle or key on the lighter and then put it on the stone. If it smells like resin or plastic and leaves a deep trace on the turquoise, it absolutely is fake.
• Scrape slightly the surface of turquoise with a sharp needle-shaped object. The original turquoise doesn’t get scratched this way and it can also scratch the glace no matter what its shape is.
How to take care of turquoise jewelry?
IRAN ART EXHIBITION: Being scratched, exposure to hot water, chemicals, and household detergents are the main hazards for the fine turquoise. Follow the instructions to take good care of your turquoise:
• The turquoise should not be in contact with lotions, body oils or perfumes. Otherwise, it changes color.
• Remove the turquoise jewelry while washing your hands. Detergents and chlorine-containing water damages turquoise.
• Avoid polishing or contacting turquoise stone with greasy substances.
The most reliable way to buy turquoise is to buy it from Mashhad (Reza Bazar) and Neyshabur.